Re: Line Numbers in ASCII File

Subject: Re: Line Numbers in ASCII File
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:54:43 -0700

Some possibilities....

On Windows, the shareware text editor UltraEdit can do searches (including regular expressions) and show line numbers. http://www.ultraedit.com/

On Macintosh, BBEdit is the text editor of choice. http://www.barebones.com/

Regards,
Philip

At 07:05 AM 2/7/2002, Steve Goldberg wrote:

We have a huge ASCII text file against which we would like to do
searches to find matching strings in the text. Once we match a
particular text string we would like to be able to determine on what
line number or page number that string is located.
Does anyone know of a way to do this? In Word, of course, it's simple,
but that formatting is lost when the file is saved as plain text.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr