Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:12:15 -0800 (PST)

> Since he's explained several times over the nearly two years i've
> been
> reading, I know that John values contracting because of the maximum
> control
> it gives him, that one of the major reasons for job hopping is, for
> him, boredom.

Kelly...

I think over the two years that you've been reading my posts, you've
understood what was going on.

In 10 years, I've NEVER left a contract prior to its end, except for
one. Even when I knew the end date and had a new one lined up if I'd
leave early, would not do so becuase I made a committment, once at
the expense of having the position with more money withdrawn. There
was one exception where the company was bought, management changed
and changed the rules of how ALL workers were treated (and paid).
They only got three weeks notice.

What I DO do is select gigs where I hope I won't be bored and most
times I've been right...some I was wrong, WAS bored, but stayed to
the end of the committment anyway. The one I mentioned where I left
because I was bored, it was only after they asked and I agreed to
have the contract extended 3X for a total of almost 2 years (was
supposed to be 6 months)...each of them I could have left gracefully
but didn't because I made a committment. Oh, BTW..did I mention that
at that gig, I stayed while they layed off 10% of their captives
TWICE, they let my boss go on a Friday afternoon WITH NO NOTICE, and
ALL the captive employees (3)in the department bailed like rats on a
sinking ship, leaving me to work completely on my own for another 4
months?

If you find more of a committmenmt to an employer than this, let me
know. OTOH, maybe you should consider that you've misunderstood
others who would have been excellent candidates.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://greetings.yahoo.com