Re: Estimating review time

Subject: Re: Estimating review time
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:40:02 -0500

Martha,

You're asking two different questions:

1. How much time should the work take?

2. How much time should be allowed from when you provide the document to when you get it back?

On the former, I think developers should anticipate that they can read fairly quickly and that errors in fact will jump out at them. (That's different from a QA pass, in which every procedure is tested and validated, which obviously takes much longer.) The actual time depends on how much text you have on a page, but say somewhere under 15 minutes a page seems reasonable for that kind of review. That allows for stopping occasionally to write out a lengthy explanation or correction. Obviously, if you do lousy work and need lots of correcting, my estimate is low--but you wouldn't do that, right?

On the second question, this depends almost entirely on the priority the developers' managers place on the review task. If they tell their developers that it is a low-priority task, you can be assured that the reviews will not take place.

Dick