Estimating review time

Subject: Estimating review time
From: "Nealon, Jessica" <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- McKesson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:20:41 -0500

Since this topic has come up, I would like to ask a question that I have
often thought about. If it becomes obvious (as Dick implied that it might)
that the review is just not going to take place, is it reasonable ... ok,
"reasonable" is not the right word...is it feasible to have something in
writing (a form or even an email) that states that no review was or will be
done on the doc? For example, is it a good, bad, or completely insane idea
to send an email either informing or confirming with everyone in the loop
before publishing that no review has been done?

I'm thinking about how you cover yourself when someone wants to call you on
something that is incorrect in the manual when it was never reviewed by the
person who would have caught it. I totally understand the pressure that
Development is under and their time constraints; however, I am certainly not
planning on taking responsibility for a content error when those who were
responsible for checking it didn't. How is that best handled?

My first thought is that an email or piece of paper stating that the manual
has not been reviewed might be sufficient, but that's just an idea. Is it
acceptable to just say, "Well, in all honesty, the reason that information
is incorrect or missing is that the manual was never reviewed."? How do the
people on this list handle situations like that?

Curious,

Jessica Nealon
Technical Writer
> McKesson Information Solutions, Inc