RE: Estimating review time

Subject: RE: Estimating review time
From: "Nora Merhar" <nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:44:35 -0600

I send out ALL documents for review, even if I was given the document/change
2 hours before it needs to go to a customer. ESPECIALLY if that's the case,
I insist on signatures from the requestor and any other relevant reviewer.

If time is not a big issue, I usually give a due date 2 weeks out from the
date I pass out the document (for new documents/big changes) or 1 week (for
smaller changes or little single-page installation guides). I am flexible
about these dates, assuming the release schedule is being met. I update my
boss once a week on who has given the reviews back. If something absolutely
must be released, and I haven't received the review back, I release it. If a
reviewer who hasn't gotten it back to me complains, I tell them, nicely,
that they received the doc on so-and-so date, and since they didn't get it
back to me by the due date, I assumed it was OK to go (it actually says this
on the review sheet as well). Then if changes must be made, I ask for an ECN
through the PDM system and a mark-up. Then (assuming it isn't a mistake that
might put the customer's life in danger or something) I put it at the bottom
of my pile...

They tend to be more expeditious after that.

Nora