RE: SeriousQ2.0

Subject: RE: SeriousQ2.0
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:11:27 -0800

During my recent job search, I had several interviewers ask me to describe my worst/weakest manager. An invitation to whine, I guess.

I suppose I could have refused to answer the question. But I looked at it as an opportunity to describe the type of manager/employee relationship I felt comfortable with.

So, without naming names or companies, I talked about the manager who handed off projects and never followed through, the one who's sole concern seemed to be what time I walked through the door, the great manager who spent an significant part of the day running interference with other departments so his writers could get the information they needed when they needed it.

I'm sure I revealed things about myself, but I figured that was ok. If I let a prospective manager know what I expect of him or her, that could be a good thing.

I suppose it depends on the context and tone of voice you use. If you sound vindictive or gossipy, you're not doing yourself any favors. If you mention incidents to illustrate your own work style or requirements, this could be useful.

Sella Rush
technical writer
MusicNet
206-269-6115