Pricing Documentation and Estimating Timeline

Subject: Pricing Documentation and Estimating Timeline
From: "Kathleen Jay" <kathleen_jay -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:23:35 -0400

Good Day All:
I work as a Technical Trainer and Technical Writer for a software development company and have been leaning more towards the training end of things leaving my documentation role as a second priority.

I am in the process of pricing documentation and training for an I have the training part no problem, but I am having a great deal of difficulty pricing out the documentation role, in particular, the timeline.

I am hoping someone on the list may have some advice or resources to offer for both the average hourly rate tech. writers are billed out at (not what they are paid) and also some resources/advice on estimating the timeline on documentation.

I realize this is a very difficult task knowing nothing about the project.&nbsp; What I can provide is the following:

- Estimated Development Time: 9-11 months
- A user's manual is required to accompany the product.
- A training manual will also be prepared by the tech writer in conjunction with the trainer.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kathleen Jay