QUERY: spelling, e.g. or eg?

Subject: QUERY: spelling, e.g. or eg?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:28:18 -0500

Brian Hooper reports: <<Lately, in tech documentation, I've been seeing "for
example" abbreviated as "eg" and not "e.g.". Is this a new accepted spelling
for it?>>

It's a new one on me, and unless your house style removes periods from all
abbreviations, you should leave the periods. Even then, "e.g." is such a
familiar form of the abbreviation that you'd be doing your readers a service
sticking with the familiar form. Of course, since the inability to
distinguish between i.e. and e.g. is endemic, you might also consider
changing to "for ex.", which isn't that much longer and is more likely to be
familiar.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."--Goethe