RE: legality of web links to articles?

Subject: RE: legality of web links to articles?
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:26:35 -0800

> WEll, what do you do about sites that explicitly say that you can't link
> or, if you do, then you have to ask? I provided about five examples that
> wanted you to ask for permission. I also noted that there were
> still other
> sites (a minority) that explicitly said, "Tough beans sistah!"

Here's another twist that nobody has addressed. What about when forum users
post links to specific articles on other sites? Consider slashdot. It is
considered proper conduct to post a link to an article if you reference it
in your post. You may well get flamed for not posting the link. I'd even
guess that how you reference your posts impacts how you get moderated. The
only common gripe about this is when people post links to account based
content where the rest of the world can't verify the poster's claims without
having a similar account. Slashdot is just one example of where this happens
all the time.

> The WEB was conceived primarily for commerce;
Respectfully, I'll disagree on this one. There weren't too many *.com's back
in the days when mosaic was the next-best-thing. Most business people, if
they even knew what the internet was, thought it was a geek fad.

Richard Smith