How can clients expect quotes without giving me any information?

Subject: How can clients expect quotes without giving me any information?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:50:35 -0500

Another prospect wants a quote. I have only this to go on:

To give you an idea, the application have maybe 100 programs and process, is
a Front Desk System for Hospitality Industries.

The above was the prospect's response to my writing this:

The costs and time depend entirely on the size and complexity of the
application.
I would love to be able to give you a price quote right now, but I need to
know more about the application itself. Can you compare its size and
complexity to a popular software program?

My basic rate is $50 per hour. I can give you a ballpark figure when you
give me an idea of the size.

-----------------------------

What do you recommend doing when people ask for quotes and you have
virtually nothing to go on? I have answered him in this way:

Do you mean 100 *features* or functions?

It's quite difficult to estimate the amount of work at such a distance
without seeing the program, but I could give you a ballpark of about 40
hours or so.

I know the prospect wants to hear positive things, but how can one not
request more information before making a quote? I feel that 40 hours might
be a bit low, if it's got 100 features, but I don't know what else to say
that won't scare him away.

Help!

Bonnie Granat
bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info