Re: Where do you shoot trouble?

Subject: Re: Where do you shoot trouble?
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:12:10 -0500

Lin Sims wrote:

> For my own peace of mind, I want to make a decision I can stick to.
> Where should troubleshooting information go, in a chapter all of its
> own, or scattered through the chapters covering the individual areas
> where trouble may arise?

One document with a systematic troubleshooting procedure.

1) Is the green power light on? If not, check that
the machine is plugged in
the power switch is on
If you still have no power, call a technician.

2) ....

Of course, this needs lots of cross-references to other parts of the doc
set that may have more info.

Also, some information may need to be duplicated. For example, if failure
to adjust the floomglitz often causes problems, then you need to emphasize
the adjustment procedure in the Installation Guide, as well as covering
diagnosis of a maladjusted floomgitz in your troubleshooting doc.