Re: I can't imagine where this portrayal came from...

Subject: Re: I can't imagine where this portrayal came from...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:46:56 -0800

"Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" wrote:

> So by including us in the Dilbert strip as an identifiable sub-culture
> member of his "office world" Mr Adams is paying us a compliment....

Isn't this a bit of a stretch? With her constant anger and wish for
respect, she's hardly a role-model.

Dilbert is satirical and, like all the other characters, Tina is a
caricature. What's more, she's a wickedly funny one (without trying, I
could name a dozen writers who could have modelled for Tina, all equally
insistent that they are skilled professionals who don't get any
respect).I enjoy the somewhat distorted accuracy of the character, and
she's even forced me into a rueful admission of my own excesses at
times. But I wouldn't look beyond the satire (but, then, I don't have to
any more, because I no longer teach English ;-).

I wonder, though, if those who feel insulted by the character realize
that they are part of the composite that she's made from.

"A thousand nights, a thousand years,
He feeds us all, he feeds our fears,
Don't stir in your sleep tonight my dears,
We're all working for Pharoah."
-Richard Thompson, "Pharoah"