Which, that Grammar?

Subject: Which, that Grammar?
From: Ed Manley <EManley -at- Solutionsplus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:25:59 -0600

Hi all,

MS Word's grammar checker and I disagree on the use of the words "that" and
"which".

Consider the sentence "If an election is submitted with a tender price which
has already been bid on, the elected units from that election are added to
what is already allocated." Is which correct in that context? Never mind
that the rest of the sentence sucks - just stick with that issue which is
before us.

How about that word which appears again in this one "The Notice List will be
modified to include notices which have Related Holdings assigned to the
eTRAN User."?

MS Word suggests that I use "that" instead of "which", and this is true
almost every time I use the word which. I wish that which was that word
which is correct, for it is that which is that word I prefer.

Really - which is it that I should use for that?

Thanks,
Ed