Re: Geez, can I take a break...

Subject: Re: Geez, can I take a break...
From: wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:08:35 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:
<sarcasm> Oh yeah, everybody loves it when you tell them they are wrong.
Point out her personality flaws while your at it too. People love that.
Especially bosses. </sarcasm>

If you make a big deal out of this, you'll get hurt. Just change her
sentences back and move along. Don't tell her, don't waste your time. She
spend X number of years learning to write poorly, you won't change her
overnight.

I appreciate your sarcasm, Andrew, but I assumed the conversation would
proceed politely, and I wouldn't tell her that she was wrong (I agree with
not trying to change her). I would simply point out that the document is
written in the active voice, and that her changes make the document
inconsistent. I guess I use a "velvet glove" approach, because most of the
people I've worked with (engineers excluded) appreciated my input and
readily acknowledged that they weren't grammar experts. However, since I'm
sitting home out of work (my department was eliminated), it may be that
your approach is best.

Pat Glass
wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net