RE: salvaging damaged business relationships

Subject: RE: salvaging damaged business relationships
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:02:39 -0500

Sue,

The first thing you should do, if you don't know already, is to try to find
out why the previous guy was dissatisfied. That way you can be prepared to
deal with any negative comments that may come out.

Once you're prepared for the worst case scenario, pretend that nothing has
happened. Call her, congratulate her on getting the job, and introduce
yourself to her as someone who has been doing contract work for the
department for a while. You should almost treat it as an interview because
that's what it is ... Be very polite, demonstrate your knowledge and
understanding of their products, processes, and your own expertise, and tell
her that you look forward to meeting her in person to discuss upcoming
contract opportunities.

Don't think of it as marketing yourself - think of it as cultivating and
nurturing an ongoing business relationship.

My 2¢,

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager