RE: Xerox & Kleenex (was legality of web links to articles?)

Subject: RE: Xerox & Kleenex (was legality of web links to articles?)
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:07:10 -0500

Well and good, but the problem then is that everyone who makes a similar
product can then also use the name. For example, Bayer labs invented and
marketed a new analgesic about 100 years ago. They called it Aspirin. They
did not defend their trade mark, so now anyone who make a salicylic
acid-based analgesic can call it aspirin. Bayer now has to rely on Bayer
Aspirin to sell their product.

So to use your analogy, if I went to the store I'd have several different
types of Puffs to choose from - one from Georgia Pacific, one from
International Paper, one from Kimberly Clark ...

That's not a good thing!

My 2¢,

John