RE: Xerox & Kleenex (was legality of web links to articles?)

Subject: RE: Xerox & Kleenex (was legality of web links to articles?)
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:31:39 -0800

I think you missed his point, which is that the manufacturers, as in the
case of Kleenex and Xerox, benefit from the association because they protect
the trademark.

I don't think he suggested that this was in any way bad. Rather, it is the
very reason to protect the trademark so aggressively.

If anyone can manufacture and market a zipper, aspirin, or escalator, how
does the original manufacturer benefit? If anything, the fact that we no
longer associate those words with specific brand products indicates that the
original manufacturer, if they even still exist, has lost untold revenues
from diminished market share.

When you buy Kleenex, whoever makes and markets Kleenex benefits from the
sale.

But when you buy a zipper... How many dozens of companies make zippers?
(rhetorical question)