Re: No new browser windows... ever??

Subject: Re: No new browser windows... ever??
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:05:12 -0700

I agree with Geoff Hart's view on Neilsen - he's been put on a usability
pedestal, yet his own site is just plain awful, in my opinion.

But he's got the public's ear, and his influence is undeniable. That's why
I tried to point out that the Neilsen rule that the initial poster's
company was trying to obey was not all there is to Neilsen's views on the
topic. If they're going to blindly follow this guy's "vision" they should
at least get the rest of the story (thank you, Paul Harvey).

While we're plugging usability gurus, I must give props and shout-outs to
Steve Krug, whose book "Don't Make Me Think" would be a great gift for
managers who want to learn more about usability, but who realistically
aren't ready to devote a lot of time and effort into doing so.

It's a unique book in that respect, in that it offers the all-important
"high-level view" so popular with management types, but also some good
practical advice for the poor worker-bee who is actually stuck with
designing or revamping a corporate site.

- Keith Cronin

An optimist sees the glass half full.
A pessimist sees it half empty.
A real man checks for dead flies and cigarette butts, then drinks
whatever's in the glass.