re Where do you shoot trouble?

Subject: re Where do you shoot trouble?
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:19:46 +0200

I think that sometimes trouble should be shot down
the moment it raises its head, right in mid-procedure.
Though the same solution may also appear in a
troubleshooting chapter or appendix, the user
working through the procedure should be
grateful to find that there is no need to waste
time wondering whether there really is a problem,
whose fault it is, and where to find the solution.
A solution in mid-procedure is particularly
appropriate if--

- the problem is pretty likely to occur

- the problem can occur only at a few easily defined
moments in the procedure

- the problem and solution are simple to explain

- the problem is not very embarrassing to the
manufacturer

For example, "After finishing your drawing, go back
to work on your text. If text that you type fails
to appear, check your pen properties; your pen may
have remained set to the background color."

Mark L. Levinson
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il
Poetry: http://www.mp3.com/MarkLLevinson