SUMMARY: pdf print problem: not printing parts of some graphics

Subject: SUMMARY: pdf print problem: not printing parts of some graphics
From: "Barnett, Eva" <Eva -dot- Barnett -at- aketontechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:14:44 -0800

Hi Everyone,

I got the pdf print problem resolved! At Jacque Foreman's suggestion, I downloaded the most recent Acrobat Reader from Adobe and tried printing from there. It worked great! (I was printing from the full version of Acrobat v4.05). I still have no idea why it was working from v4.05 before and suddenly stopped, but it works now.

I also got several other suggestions from some folks who were kind enough to send me ideas. While they didn't help in my case, I'm summarizing them here for anyone who is curious, and for the sake of future archive-hunters. :)

Jacque Foreman:
a) Print from your hard drive, not the Web or a server. This may help alleviate printer memory issues
b) Match the reader/distiller versions, or make sure that the file is distilled such that the file's compatible with the reader you have.

Andy Dugas:
a) Check the paper size and the size (pixels, not bytes) of the image to make sure "shrink to fit" isn't doing something weird to the image.
b) Try getting ahold of the original source file to see if it prints OK from the native program.
c) "Try using the QMS Magicolr2 printer driver when you create the PDF. I don't know how this might help you, but the old QMS has always resolved any tweaky PDF issues I've ever had... You can download the QMS Magicolor2 printer driver directly from Minolta, the manufacturer."
d) Get the original file and redistill.
e) Check for possible file corruption in the transit between file originator & you.

Dick Margulis
a) Make sure that you try printing with "fit to page" selected; the image might be getting truncated off the edge of the page.
b) Try printing to a printer with more memory
c) Update your print drivers (especially if you've upgraded your OS)

Thanks again to all of you who sent suggestions!

-Eva