Re: Need help with a pompous engineer

Subject: Re: Need help with a pompous engineer
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:33:44 -0800 (PST)

In article 95658A138477D411A93E00D0B7A7B97A025C7F25 -at- zeus -dot- nocpulse -dot- net, wade -dot- courtney -at- nocpulse -dot- com (Wade Courtney) writes:
>In our engineering meeting this morning the subject of using a word came up.
>The word is re-notification, people are suggesting that we use
>renotification instead. I asked what set of rules they were using to make
>this decision and one of the engineers quipped of "Why don't you go look in
>the dictionary."
>
>Before I go went and did something stupid, like prove him wrong, I looked in
>several online dictionaries, renotification was nowhere to be seen.
>
>What is the best way to approach this without any loss of face on either
>side?

Tell him that computer jargon is rarely found in common
dictionaries but that you checked with several technical
writing experts (Techwr-l :-> ) and that they suggest
that the word be examined in context and that you avoid
adding the prefix "re" to "notification" in favor of
rewriting the sentence to say something like "another
notification."

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html