Importing XML into FrameMaker+SGML

Subject: Importing XML into FrameMaker+SGML
From: <EXT-Kathleen -dot- Melly -at- nokia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:17:24 -0500

I am writing about the procedure to import an XML or SGML formatted document into FrameMaker+SGML.

The document in question is an API reference manual. We currently enter the API descriptions manually. In the future, the engineers will enter the API descriptions into the code, output them to a file, and deliver them to me in XML or SGML format. I plan to then import the documents into a FrameMaker document.

Having never used the SGML features in FrameMaker, I think that I will have to create templates that map the XML/SGML tags to elements. I assume that since I am mapping elements to the XML/SGML tags I'll also have to create a structure for all para tags. I am guessing that creating the templates will take about a week. Can anyone tell me if:

* I am missing something major. Like --- It isn't that easy. If it was, we'd all be doing it.

* I underestimated the time it will take to create the templates.

* It makes any difference whether I import XML or SGML. The engineers have given me the choice between the two formats.

* This is really necessary. Maybe I should just import the files and map the XML tags to para tags without creating the structure.

I would appreciate any advice that you can provide.

Kathleen