TOOLS:

Subject: TOOLS:
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:05:16 +1100

OK, some practical help. If you use Outlook, why not setup a rule that
delays the sending of any message with Digest in it's subject line for, say,
an hour. When you see mail sitting in your outbox, not moving, you know to
go and change the subject line.

Now, easy reading of digests. Unfortunately I am a MS Orifice boy, and thus
my tailorings are only good if you have such products on your desk,
nevertheless, here's a little something to help all you mail list digesters.
Of course, please feel free to distibute this mere trifle intact to wherever
you please, and re-write for other script engines etc.

Of course, send me a real digest parcel and I might be able to soup it up a
bit.

Cuttenpaste it into word and use this to generate a nice toc at the start,
and clip all quotes over 5 lines. Its easily modifiable...

Public Sub Bitters()
'$Author: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com
'$Version: 0.1
'$Short: Makes mail list digestion easier.
Const MessageId As String = "Subject:"
Const QuotedText As String = ">"
Const DoRemoveQuotedText As Boolean = True
Const DoMakeTOC As Boolean = True
Const HeadingStyle As Long = wdStyleHeading3
Const MaxQuotedLines As Long = 5

Dim Para As Long
Dim IsQuoted As Boolean
Dim FirstQuote As Long
Dim LastQuote As Long
Dim DelPara As Long

For Para = ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Count To 1 Step -1
With ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(Para)
IsQuoted = False
If .Range.Characters(1) = QuotedText Then IsQuoted = True
'mark heading
If DoMakeTOC And (Not IsQuoted) And _
(InStr(1, .Range.Text, MessageId) > 0) _
Then .Style = HeadingStyle

If DoRemoveQuotedText Then
If IsQuoted Then
.Range.Delete
Else
If FirstQuote > 0 Then 'we have just gone past a block
'test for quote block size
LastQuote = Para + 1
If FirstQuote - LastQuote > MaxQuotedLines Then 'delete the
block
For DelPara = FirstQuote To LastQuote Step -1
ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(DelPara).Range.Delete
Next
Else
FirstQuote = 0
End If
End If
End If
End If
End With
Next
If DoMakeTOC Then
With Selection
.HomeKey unit:=wdStory
.InsertParagraphBefore
.HomeKey unit:=wdStory
ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents.Add .Range
End With
End If
End Sub

Steve Hudson, Word Heretic
HDK List MVP
Word help and tools: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com