PDFs, web browsers and file names...

Subject: PDFs, web browsers and file names...
From: techwriter -at- supalife -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:02:41 +0000

Hi All
I hope you can help me. It's too early in the week to be shouting at my PC.

On Friday I was trying to configure Acrobat (4.05) so pdfs would open in my
browser (IE5) rather than Acrobat. It looked as though everything was set-up
right but it still wasn't happening, so I deselected the Web Browser
Integration box in Preferences > General. That still made no difference so I
selected it again, only to get an error message saying it couldn't copy the
Netscape plug-in, and to check permissions (even although Netscape is nowhere
near my machine). I then discovered that I could no longer open pdfs that had
spaces in the file names. I guess that the space/filename thing usually works
because of the netscape plug-in.

I have checked the Acrobat program files against my colleague's machine and
they are the same.

I've checked the acrobat knowledge base and it seems that as my machine is set
up now it should all work as I want, but it isn't! (It only ever talks about
configuring netscape so presumably IE should work as is).

So my questions to you are;
a) how can I reinstall this netscape plug-in to fix the problem with filenames
and
b) how on earth do I set up the whole thing so that pdfs will open in my web
browser?

Thanking you in advance (with just a hint of desperation!)

Lil
PS It's not a problem with the way the pdfs are generated -- the same pdf that
opens in my colleague's browser will still open Acrobat for me.

--
Message sent with Supanet E-mail