Re: Grim numbers, just grim

Subject: Re: Grim numbers, just grim
From: wayne menke <wdmenke -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:20:59 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:

> California its like 30%. That is because of taxes. When your employer deducts
> $500 in federal widtholding, the employer must MATCH that amount. That means
> they have to put in $500 as well for a total of $1000. That $500 has to come
> from somewhere, and that somewhere is your check. Then there is FUTA payments,
> state unemployment, not to mention the mere overhead of the agency. All that
> adds up. The agency has to cover their expenses and then they have to make a
> profit on the deal.

Well, federal withholding is the amount the employer deducts from the
employee's salary for federal taxes. There's no match here. What the
employer does match is social security and medicare payments, equal to
7.65% of gross salary.

While it all adds up, FUTA is a nominal cost (maximum of $56/year).

I'm not familiar with West coast taxes, but it sounds unlikely that it
would cost 50% more to do business in California than Oregon.

Wayne Menke
Mendem Concord, Inc.