Re: Grim numbers, just grim

Subject: Re: Grim numbers, just grim
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:36:17 -0800 (PST)

"Emily Berk" <> wrote in message news:141440 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> This is from a job posting on the MonsterBoard...
>
> Skills desired: Programming experience or familiarity (C, C++). Experience
related to documentation of wireless industry products. Familiarity with user
interface issues and the ability to take an active role in usability reviews.
Education/Equiv: Bachelors degree.

> Additional Information
> Salary: from USD 35.00 per hour
>
> Is living in Seattle THAT inexpensive???

That is about where rates are right now in the Seattle / Portland areas. There
are a lot of writers out of work in this area and that has pushed rates way
down.

Rates on the agency side have been killed as well. Agencies are not seeing
$70.00 an hour any more. More like $50 to $60. Even if they were paying $70, a
50% markup is pretty common for agencies. In Washington state, you need a
MINIMUM of a 25% markup just to break even. In Oregon its more like 20%. In
California its like 30%. That is because of taxes. When your employer deducts
$500 in federal widtholding, the employer must MATCH that amount. That means
they have to put in $500 as well for a total of $1000. That $500 has to come
from somewhere, and that somewhere is your check. Then there is FUTA payments,
state unemployment, not to mention the mere overhead of the agency. All that
adds up. The agency has to cover their expenses and then they have to make a
profit on the deal.

Andrew Plato

http://sports.yahoo.com