Re: Grim numbers, just grim

Subject: Re: Grim numbers, just grim
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:55:36 -0800

Diane Evans wrote:

Things are tight around here, but I really don't think the company will find the person they want at that wage

You're probably right. The comments in this thread sound like a lot of angst to come out of a single posting. Undoubtedly, rates are lower and positions fewer than last year, but people seem resolutely determined to believe that everything's gone into a spiral nose-dive, instead of a slump.

In fact, the main change is that you can no longer park your resume with a couple of headhunters and job-boards, then sit back and wait for the job offers to come pouring in. You need to do your own footwork, the way you did before 1998, and many people haven't adjusted yet.

"A thousand nights, a thousand years,
He feeds us all, he feeds our fears,
Don't stir in your sleep tonight my dears,
We're all working for Pharoah."
-Richard Thompson, "Pharoah"