Re: How is the job market in your area?

Subject: Re: How is the job market in your area?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:50:15 -0800

The job market in Vancouver, Canada seems fairly robust, right now. Or, at least it is for me. I'm having no trouble working steadily as a contractor.

I suspect, though, that full-timers are worse off. Many of the jobs advertised on the boards or in the paper are what I'd call marginal: they're not very interesting, or else they demand an unusual combination of skills that very few people are likely to have. You know: three years C++ experience with an advanced degree in commercial design."

As an aside, I can't help noticing that many answers about the job market recently are a variation of "Things are awful. There are no jobs on the local STC or high-tech boards." So, maybe it's worth emphasizing yet again: spending ten minutes a day scanning job postings is not the way to find work. None of my last half dozen contracts was advertised anywhere. They weren't even left with a headhunter. I went out and found them; it's much more work, but I greatly reduce the competitition. Perhaps I'm wronging people - I'm sure that there must be people doing everything that I do and not finding work - but I can't help thinking that the problem is often not so much a lack of work as a lack of imagination.

"I'm not afraid of gambling, I just want some odds, that's all."
-The Mollys, "Come on Strong and Run"