Re: [Fwd: Re: Resume format]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Resume format]
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:48:44 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

Naturally, it depends how desperate you are; but if you have the luxury of deciding not to work with this recruiter, that would be the choice I'd recommend. I've never seen any good come of a situation where the recruiter wanted to redo a résumé. Several techwrlers have told horror stories starting with just that practice, and to me it is the signal to watch for unscrupulous behavior. It is not only a waste of your time, but it can hurt your reputation in the local market.

That depends on how it's done.

If it's done by the recruiter alone, you're right that it can be a sign of trouble.

However, if the revision is done interactively, with the recruiter showing the weak points and the writer trying to find ways to improve it, the experience can be extremely useful. I attribute my first tech-writing job to the fact that a crusty old recruiter, who was near enough to retirement not to have to give a damn, went through my resume line-by-line with me taking notes. I spent the weekend revising the resume. The result, the recruiter said, was so much better that he felt he could represent me with more confidence. And, while I didn't get the first jobto which I applied with the revised resume, I did get the second one. Because I didn't put my ego on the line, everyone benefited from the situation.

"I'm not afraid of gambling, I just want some odds, that's all."
- The Mollys, "Come on Strong and Run"