Re: Portfolio Question

Subject: Re: Portfolio Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:32:05 -0800

Nora von Gerichten wrote:

I am freely leaving portfolios all over the place and it is paying off. I am using "biz-card" CD discs with pdf files on them. So what if someone plagiarizes it (its been done to me). My object is to develop a style. If someone wants to copy, plagiarize, steal, etc. I think of it as a complement. I write. I can always write new stuff. I have multiple projects at all time just so that I always am gaining new experiences.

The reference was to hardcopy manuals. PDF samples are another matter altogether. Most importantly, unlike hardcopy samples, they are easily replaceable. (I use them, too, and with great results)

Also, it's not unusual for companies to give writers permission to use a sample only on condition that it not be left behind at another company. I honor such conditions as a matter of courtesy; I don't personally care about unauthorized copying.

I am not a web developer, nor want to be. Do not want to spend the time or money for a web site

Your choice.

But if you're already using PDF samples, you're most of the way there already. And, these days, space for web sites is so ridiculously cheap that the cost isn't a factor - even if you don't write it off as a business expense.

"I'm not afraid of gambling, I just want some odds, that's all."
-The Mollys, "Come on Strong and Run"