Re: How is the job market in your area?

Subject: Re: How is the job market in your area?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:12:31 -0800

Annamarie Pluhar wrote:

Don't forget fear. Part of the problem is the fear of cold calling. If you haven't done it, and you don't have a huge ego which is impervious to rejection, cold calling is hard. It takes practice. Practice means failing some until you get good. (Just think of those figure skaters and how often they must have fallen as they learned to do their triple toe loops.) Courage is doing something despite having fear.

How could I forget? I must have made hundreds of cold calls, and I don't think I've made a single one without being jittery beforehand and overcome by a sense of rejection afterwards. What's more, any round of cold calls is going to result in far more rejections than successes, so it can be a pretty grim process.

But I would have thought that sheer necessity would drive people to overcome their fears.

And it's also true that there isn't as much work out there as there was.

True, but, at the same time, there is more than many people believe.

"You're about to be told one more time that you're America's most valuable natural resources. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources in this country?...Don't let anyone call you a valuable natural resource. They'll strip mind your soul and clearcut your mind."
- Utah Phillips