Re: Wordless documentation

Subject: Re: Wordless documentation
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:33:23 -0500

As an occasional _user_ of wordless instructions (although I've never taken on the challenge of creating them), I'd like to point you to a fairly decent set of examples.

I've got a big HP color printer, with a stacker/stapler delivery device, and, except for two multi-lingual warning labels that cover some fairly abstract concepts, all of the onboard instructions are wordless diagrams. Normally I read printed instructions, so I had no reason to look at most of these diagrams. But when I ran out of staples, the new ones came with no instructions whatsoever. So I opened up the delivery unit, popped open the stapler door, and had no trouble at all following the steps to install the cartridge.

Admittedly this wasn't a major challenge, but I just looked at the other labels--for things like clearing jams--and they are all equally clear. I'd definitely recommend that you look at HP printers to see how they've approached this problem.