Re: Resume format

Subject: Re: Resume format
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:11:00 -0500

Maybe it's because I'm a couple of cups of coffee short and it's late in the day and a synapse misfired or something, but it just occurred to me that part of this discussion involves a distinction without a difference.

Isn't English a language? Isn't being able to organize ideas on paper a skill? Isn't grammar a tool?

I'm okay with listing tools if I can list the interesting ones. I'm okay with listing languages if I can list the relevant ones. I'm okay with listing skills if I can list the ones that will be important on the job.

So maybe the next time a recruiter asks you to list tools, you mention Word, Frame, or whatever other software packages you are familiar with, at the end of the list, and you mention analytic ability, facility with language, and a dictionary at the beginning of the list. And if they ask you about languages, list English before HTML.

Just a thought.

Dick