Re: What is our art?

Subject: Re: What is our art?
From: "Kevin Christy" <kevinchristy -at- socal -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:55:27 -0800

> So what is it that we do? What are the skills and how do you get them
> across to non-TRs?

It's not that complicated. People know that good writing is valuable, and
they also know that it takes talented people to do it well. The mere
thought of having to write sends chills up the spines of many otherwise
perfectly capable and intelligent people; they just know they can't write
well.

What are the skills? First, you have to write well. Hard to define, but as
the Supreme Court justice said, "I know it when I see it." Second, you have
to be a quick study, because you may well have to write about things that
you don't have experience in. Third, you have to have good people skills,
because you have to 1) put the audience first, and 2) get your material from
other people, and 3) get other people to cut you checks for what you do.
Finally, you have to be able to competently use The Tools. The best
technical writer in the world who insists on writing longhand is really
lacking a fundamental skill.

Peace!

Kevin