Re: Resume format

Subject: Re: Resume format
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:37:18 -0600

Marc Sacks wrote:

> Brad Jensen wrote:
>
> >> * Do you think it's a good idea to sort the meat of a
> >> resume by
> >>
> > skills
> >
> >> rather than by employers?
> >>
> > Only if you goal is to win a creative writing contest. Do
> > you
> > think it is a good idea to answer all the
> > interviewers'questions
> > in Latin?
> >
> I use a skills-oriented resume for technical writing for the
> simple reason that I haven't had a writing job since 1997

that's not that long

> and
> it would be very difficult to point to that experience with a
> chronological list of positions. I put the list (years,
> companies, titles) at the end and in the skills section
> describe places (company names in parentheses) where I did
> various things.

put the company history first.

you should say (in the cover letter) , "I tried a non-tech
writing position, and I've given it a real chance, but tech
writing is what I do best and I want to return to it. In the
meantime I've developed a lot of skills and experience that will
add value to my tech writing work."

> I don't know that this resume actually works,

like the dealer said, did you get a job with it?

> and I'm open to
> other suggestions for how to do a resume when none of your
> last several jobs where in the field to which you're gearing
> the resume.
>
> Marc Sacks
> msacks -at- world -dot- std -dot- com

Put your overall goal and career plan right in the resume, and
reinforce it with the cover letter. Otherwise it looks like you
are just writing a cover letter to apply to all sorts of jobs.

Sincerety is the key. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
(That is an old joke.) What you really want to show is quiet,
calm, self-assurance, with friendliness and very light humor.
Poise. Yes you can fake it.

Be sure of yourself. Smile. Chat. Watch Risky Business a couple
of times a week until you get your job.

Are you defensive? Most people are, most of the time. You need
to tame your urge for self-importance. Practice being mildly
humble in your interviews - but remember it is an unusual
situation where you have to place yourself in the best light
possible, and talk about yourself in a way that would be
considered rude except in sports bars after ten PM.

How are you going to be able to help the company you are
applying for? Ask the interviewer what they are looking for in
this position, what are their priorities? Do they already have
people doing this job? How many, and what do they do all day?
Why are they hiring this position?

I often hire people because of the questions they ask me - about
the job, the company, what our goals are, who our customers are,
how we interact with them. Why is this company great? What does
it do better than everyone else?

"How many frambulated widgets does Consolidated Widgetry make
each year? You are the market leader aren't you? I think people
just don't realize how important frambulated widgets are to our
national productivity and homeland defense. I'd be proud to be
helping the disemframbulated people out there understand the
benefits and use of Consolidated Frambulated Widgets."

Not too thick, of course, but the world really does need
frambulated widgets, or there wouldn't be a company there to
offer you a job.

Get a lot of interview practice. Go one as many as you can
stand. 2 or 3 a day is not too many. Have fun with them. One of
your practice interviews may turn into a job. Are you looking
for work 40 hours a week? you ought to be. If you don't have any
more want-ads to call on, call your friends and remind them you
are looking for work and exactly what you do (ewven if they have
know you for ten years.) Call the companies you would like to
work for and apply, even if they don't have job listings in the
paper or on the web job sites. Apply at the companies the other
people in your professional association work for. Don't ask the
person you know to tell you if you can apply or should apply,
just do it.

My business consultant tells me that as a business owner I
should "Always be hiring. Always be willing to trade up."

Remember what I like to call "The Jesus Christ Principle of
Growth": it is a far better thing to beg forgiveness than ask
permission. (the parable of the talents). (for my philosophical
writings, go see www.actasif.com)

If you are running around asking the world for permission to be
you, now is a good time to change this.

In 23 years of being in business, I have never had someone come
in and apply off the street without a job ad. I only have 25
employees, but you would think someone would od this. I have had
several employees tell me of friends or relatives that need
jobs, and I have hired some of them. They know to bring me good
people.

Brad Jensen
www.eufrates.com
Turn your manuals and tutorials into elearning
--
Brad Jensen brad -at- elstore -dot- com
President

LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining
www.Laservault.com

www.eufrates.com - Add distance learning to
your site with easy course preparation