Re: What is our art?

Subject: Re: What is our art?
From: "Kevin Christy" <kevinchristy -at- socal -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:25:48 -0800

> Art? no. Skill? yes

John, interestingly enough, Merriam's would suggest "Yes" to both. See
definition #1 below. However, I think that definition #6 ("ART implies a
personal, unanalyzable creative power") is closer to what you might be
considering Art, but I think that writing - even technical - satisfies that
definition. I'm not sure why some people can write and others can't, but
it's a fact: some folks can write well, and some folks can't, and it has
nothing to do with how smart or hard-working they are. You might even say
it's... personal. Unanalyzable, even.

Main Entry: art
Pronunciation: 'ärt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin art-, ars -- more at
Date: 13th century
1 : skill acquired by experience, study, or observation <the art of making
2 a : a branch of learning: (1) : one of the humanities (2) plural : LIBERAL
3 : an occupation requiring knowledge or skill <the art of organ building>
4 a : the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the
production of aesthetic objects; also : works so produced b (1) : FINE ARTS
(2) : one of the fine arts (3) : a graphic art
5 a archaic : a skillful plan b : the quality or state of being artful
6 : decorative or illustrative elements in printed matter
synonyms ART, SKILL, CUNNING, ARTIFICE, CRAFT mean the faculty of executing
well what one has devised. ART implies a personal, unanalyzable creative
power <the art of choosing the right word>. SKILL stresses technical
knowledge and proficiency <the skill of a glassblower>. CUNNING suggests
ingenuity and subtlety in devising, inventing, or executing <a mystery
plotted with great cunning>. ARTIFICE suggests technical skill especially in
imitating things in nature <believed realism in film could be achieved only
by artifice>. CRAFT may imply expertness in workmanship <the craft of a
master goldsmith>.

RE: What is our art?: From: John Posada