RE: Tech Writing & The Economy

Subject: RE: Tech Writing & The Economy
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:06:58 -0500

<snip>
> What happens when there is a programming position open and
> the US person
> bids $125 plus benefits an hour and a person with more
> qualifications in
> India bids $20 with no benefits. That will change the US
> economy. Don't
> leave out the impact of the millions dying from AIDS. 1/3 of
> the Egyptian
> male work force has hepatitis C and will be too ill or dead
> to work within
> 10 years. That too will impact the US.

Some people would have us believe that shortly the earth will be
overpopulated and there will not be enough jobs to go around nor will we
have enough free land to grow crops and feed everyone. (Did you see the
article about Bill Gates in Newsweek a couple of weeks ago? The article
talked about how, due to Bill's generosity in contributing money for health
programs and education, Haiti's economy will begin to improve as the people
there learn how to practice birth control and limit the number of children
they have--fewer mouths to feed means the money the parents manage to earn
will go farther, plus there will be less unemployment since there will be
fewer people.)

Then other people are fretting because huge numbers of people in some parts
of the world are dying of terminal illnesses, which means huge financial
burdens for the healthy people who are able to work. It also means there
will be fewer people to buy things, which means less demand for goods, which
means fewer jobs will be created, which means the world economy will falter
and come to screeching halt.

Sometimes ditching the tech writing and becoming self-sufficient on a chunk
of land in Montana sounds like a good idea. :)

Megan, who has concluded that excessive worrying about the future tends to
ruin the present but who has not concluded whether she will diaper her
children in cloth or plastic.

Megan Rock
Technical Writer
FANUC Robotics North America, INC.

Views presented and opinions held are not necessarily those of my friends,
family, or employer.