RE: What is our art?

Subject: RE: What is our art?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:47:05 -0800 (PST)

> > > I tell people I'm the "idiot's advocate". I explain things
> > > to the idiot that the smart people already know. I used
> > > this just yesterday.
> >
> > While this is amusing and makes a good sound bite, I'm not
> > a fan of this explanation. It has a nasty habit of becoming
> > the way you view your readers.
> >
> wrong impression of an audience, it is not an acurate description
> of all tech writing jobs....

Understand that my original comment was out of context. In the
discussion I had with the developer, we were discussing how something
on the GUI was not intuitive, and infact, subject to submit
incomplete or wrong information into a Siebel database, which then
upon audit, could create serious issues.

His position was that yes, it was not intuitive, but after they run
the application a few times, they'll remember the right way to do it.

Aside from the fact that this was a wrong premise and told him so,
upon which he asked "why do I care that much...just include the
explaination in the documentation", I told him that "I'm the idiot's
advocate" The idiot I had in mind was someone who doesn't learn after
running the application a few times, makes the same error over and
over, and that by changing the GUI, they wouldn't make the mistake
the first time.

Any clearer?

John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15