Re: What is our art?

Subject: Re: What is our art?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 06:55:46 -0800 (PST)

--- Rev Simon Rumble <simon -at- rumble -dot- net> wrote:
> On Tue 19 Feb, John Posada bloviated thus:
> > I tell people I'm the "idiot's advocate". I explain things to the
> > idiot that the smart people already know. I used this just
> > yesterday.
>
> While this is amusing and makes a good sound bite, I'm not a fan of
> this explanation. It has a nasty habit of becoming the way you
> view your readers.

My associates know exactly how I view my audience. I "battle" the
developers for every possible user advantage. I "battle" the GUI
developers for easier to use and more intuitive screen designs. I
"battle" my boss and other department managers for more and better
ways to distribute information. I "battle" the IT people to develop
better ways to push information out to the field. I "battle" my
associates to get as many reviews as often as possible. I "battle" my
girlfriend when I miss a date because I insist on making deadlines
when others feeding information to me don't. (In fact, I'm getting
REALLY tired on being on a first name basis with my florist).

Like I said...I'm the user's advocate. I fight for them to give them
every possible advantage. I just happen to fight harder for the ones
that traditionally say "huh?" or "what?" when they read most writer's
documentation.

bloviated? I'm not amused, even it it was meant in humor.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15

http://sports.yahoo.com