RE: What is our art?

Subject: RE: What is our art?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:37:41 -0000

>>I get really annoyed with the "For Dummies" style of thinking. The
technical books I read (almost invariably O'Reilly books) are books
designed "for smart people who don't know anything about the subject
matter". These are also the types of manuals I write. Of course it
doesn't help that the "For Dummies" books are so full of fluff that
you could halve the page count and not lose any useful information.<<

I nearly bought a "For Dummies" book a little while ago. I was standing in
James Thins with my arms full of half-price books (pre-stocktaking sale) and
I saw _Astrology for Dummies_, and thought - "Well, DUH!"

but then I thought, some people might not see the delicious humour of the
title and might think I had it on my bookshelves because I really DID want
to know more about astrology. Or even that I believed in it. What nonsense.
Capricorns never do. <g, d, rvvvf>

Jane Carnall
The astrologers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally
tossing in a small sceptic. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are
mine, and mine alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added
automatically and outwith my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.