RE: Unsolicited resumes

Subject: RE: Unsolicited resumes
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:43:04 -0700

Pat writes:

Considering the recent thread on resume format and the fact that many of
you are in hiring positions, what do you think of the resume services that
send unsolicited resumes (like Resume Zapper.com)? Do you receive resumes
from these services? Do you read them? Is it a viable way for a job-seeker
to bring himself or herself to the attention of a potential employer?

I answer:
Our current (soon to be old website) describes a tech writing position. The
page is clearly marked: position filled, resumes accepted.

I have received about 75-80 resumes in the past three weeks from flipdog.com
and someplace else. flipdog (et al.) posted Vidiom as having a job opening
for a tech writer. from what I understand, flipdog is a job posting site,
instead of a resume gathering site. However, the gist of the problem is the
same. I am getting unsolicited resumes.

AND I have read every resume. I do have the intentions of hiring 2 or 3
writers and trainers this year (not in the next 3 months). I am sorting
resumes as they come in.

At first, I was peeved that I was getting all of these resumes; but on
further reflection--I have 70 potential writers in this area that are
interested in my company. Some of them are still working; some are
contracting; some are out of work, etc. In three months or whenever I get
to hire (contracts need to be signed, etc.) I will start at the top of my
resume stack and work through interviews, etc.

Other employers may feel different.

walden