Californication [Was California Uber Alles]

Subject: Californication [Was California Uber Alles]
From: "Robert B. Kennedy" <textexcellence -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 05:54:24 -0800 (PST)

Elna said,

...When you add up the number of technology companies, the number of jobs those
technology companies create, and the interaction between town and gown
that continually results in new company (and job) creation, simply
stating the facts looks like arrogance. Of course there are technology
firms elsewhere - I'm not denying that by any means. What I've been
saying is that Silicon Valley has the greatest *concentration* of
technology companies.

My office is located in a dump of a city -- Trenton, NJ. I'm 6 feet
tall, 220 pounds, ugly and athletic, and I still hate coming to my
office after hours -- it's a veritable ghost town downtown after dark.
The only people on the streets are people you generally don't want to
meet on the streets.

BUT, the rent is unbeatable, and gives me access to the major markets
of Philly and NYC (my largest customer is in NYC). Certainly this region
is tops in the nation in some industries (Pharmaceutical companies,
for instance).

Certainly there is a different Ethos out here re work and lifestyle.
People I've spoken to since the Dot Com Bomb are aware of the hubris
of Elitist techies that contributed to the entire collapse. I also
think people out here have a stronger "BS Detector" than Silicon
Valleyites.

Also, Silicon Valley may also have the highest concentration of tech writers.

Best,

Bobby

=====

Robert B. Kennedy, Technical Writer