Re: How is the job market in your area?

Subject: Re: How is the job market in your area?
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:55:59 -0500

Hi Bruce,

In fact your earlier posts about cold calling last month reminded me
of how important cold calling is. I didn't think I was addressing you
so much as talking to the rest of the rest of the list : )

I'm getting better at cold calling and I think I'm beginning to have
results. At least, I'm getting interviews and one RFP.

Thanks for writing what you did. It's good to know you get jitters.

I think that we all have the tendency to think that the other person
"has it all together" and that they get "lucky". Case in point:
Several years after college, a friend made her way into a career as
a video producer. She now has several NOVA's that she has produced
and an Emmy to her name. I envied her and thought how lucky she was
that she got all those breaks. So this Christmas we were visiting and
she talked about how she cold-called and followed up with a
vengeance, until people would talk to her just to get her to stop
bugging them. They would say, "I know your name. Why?" Answer: All
the pink slips (years before VM) on their desks from her calls. And
guess what? She still has to chase work, though people do return her
calls.

For myself, I find it helps as I pick up the phone to imagine that
the person wants to talk to me, and I plan how to tell them so as
soon as we are connected.

Bye for now.
Annamarie

--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- iddtechsolutions -dot- com
Http://www.iddtechsolutions.com