Re: query vs request

Subject: Re: query vs request
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 05:46:03 -0500

CHAI-ELSHOLZ Raeleen wrote:

> Another newbie question (as a clever junior high teacher used to say, "It's
> easy when you know it, and hard when you don't"):
>
> Context: TCP/IP, FTP, HTTP, SNMP... protocol "requests" (?)
>
> I have seen "requests" and "queries": ex. "HTTP request" or "NMS query",
> etc. Could someone explain whether the terms are really the same, or are
> different and depend on the context? For example, if you are talking about
> SNMP, would you be more likely to say "query" and for other protocols say
> "request"? Or what?
>
> In librarian school, we used to search or query a database, and referred to
> the searches as as "database queries". Would such things as GET, PUT, POST,
> and the like be queries too, or rather "requests"?

This answer is provided with the express understanding that my response
should only be interpreted as symbolic, rather than literal.

All of the acronyms you refer to are various networking protocols. In
describing networking topologies, a request for service is an item
saying: "I am here, ready to go into the queue to be taken to my
destination. Use the correct algorithm, in according to the terms of the
protocol I show in my header."

OTOH, a query is usually used in a database context. It means, gather
all the information I want, only the information I want and put it where
I tell you. OK guys jump on my usage because I have packets talking.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-