query vs request

Subject: query vs request
From: CHAI-ELSHOLZ Raeleen <raeleen -dot- chai-elsholz -at- auditec-newtest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:15:37 +0100

Another newbie question (as a clever junior high teacher used to say, "It's
easy when you know it, and hard when you don't"):

Context: TCP/IP, FTP, HTTP, SNMP... protocol "requests" (?)

I have seen "requests" and "queries": ex. "HTTP request" or "NMS query",
etc. Could someone explain whether the terms are really the same, or are
different and depend on the context? For example, if you are talking about
SNMP, would you be more likely to say "query" and for other protocols say
"request"? Or what?

In librarian school, we used to search or query a database, and referred to
the searches as as "database queries". Would such things as GET, PUT, POST,
and the like be queries too, or rather "requests"?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Raeleen Chai-Elsholz