Re: Resume format & Portfolio

Subject: Re: Resume format & Portfolio
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:07:22 +0400

My example ties in with this and other threads.
Manufacturing Engineer for 20 years, laid off.
During transition out, realized that I was really
a tech writer in disguise. Most Mfg Engrs don't
want to admit it. Managed to gather a few bits
and pieces of work history before I left. Used
various Mac Apps, PC stuff, Word, GEM Draw, UNIX
Interleaf, and such, but never Frame. Did Mfg
Engr work on welded and mechanical hardware.
BTW - Mfg Engrs decide and show how to build
something, based on someone else's design,
in case anyone was wondering aimlessly.

Did a 2 year gig as a Project Manager, then
found a great job as a Tech Writer for UNIX
software using Frame. Not much direct experience
for the job, eh! Hired direct, not temp, which
to me, right now, is what my family needs.

Here's what I think sold them on me.
Accomplishment based resume with concrete numbers.
Tools mentioned in context. Emphasized experience
relevant to job applying for. At interview I
showed history of learning new tools, concepts,
and different ways of providing instruction.

Portfolio is hardcopy only and due to nature of work,
everything is considered proprietary, thus it
never left my sight, even when requested, and I
told them why. I couldn't leave it with them as
I still had a responsibility to my previous
employers. Could never scan and put the material
on the web for the same reason.

At the root of hiring is the following, mentioned
by a cousin looking to hire someone.

It's easy to find people with skills, it's hard
to find good people. It's very hard to find good
people with good skills. He would rather
hire a good person that can be trained, than a
just-a-person with loads of skills. Show them
that you are good people and the sell is a lot
easier.

CB
--

Surfy! http://www.surfy.com Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access