RE: deer in the headlights

Subject: RE: deer in the headlights
From: "Cadorette Johanne" <johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:27:04 -0500

Keith, I totally relate to this!

It happens to me in nearly every situation you described, and as well as with translation requests (translation is part of my job). This is what happens: someone who speaks French comes into my office, which I share with the French tech writer, and says, "hey, Johanne, how do I say xxxx in English?"

I turn bright red, usually mumbling something incoherent as I reach for my dictionary. Inevitably, my colleague, the French writer, will chime in with her cute accent (which I lost in grade 3) with a totally articulate and accurate response, and I say, "uh, yah, that's it."

Yup. And I think, why do I do this for a living?

But the worst part of it is, I've no problem speaking in public -heck, I host a radio show! Maybe I shoud tell them to send the question in an email and to tune in to my show next week for the answer.

A fellow deer,

Johanne Cadorette