RE: Source/Version Document Control

Subject: RE: Source/Version Document Control
From: "David Demyan" <dbdemyan -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:46:24 -0500

Jeoffrey said:

>>They would like for me to create a central repository (database housed on
the network) full of searchable documents linked to an index. Upon creation
of these documents, they want ownership, time and stamp to be filled out
when someone enters documents in or checks docs out of this repository.
They also want me to organize files based on groups, owners, usage etc. I
will be the main gatekeeper with the ability to grant access permission to
whomsoever I choose. The lower the cost the better.<<

Jeoffrey, I recently evaluated some tools for my current
employer for the same reasons. I came up with three options
(other list members can probably add others):

* Carmen Documents 4.5. This looks like a pretty good, low
cost tool that does all you mentioned. It uses a flexible
database or will interface with yours.

* Microsoft VisualSource Safe. This is really designed for
maintaining software source code, but it works well for
documents too.

* DocuXplorer. Similar to Carmen, but with more features and
flexibility and a higher price.

You can find out more about each one by just entering the
names into your favorite web search engine.

Dave Demyan
Mendem Concord, Inc.
http://www.mendem.com.