RE: deer in the headlights

Subject: RE: deer in the headlights
From: "Suzanne Townsend" <suzyt -at- hfx -dot- eastlink -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:03:13 -0400

I used to have this problem also. Still do sometimes. But I think there
might be a different reason for this syndrome than what we've come up with
so far on this list. I've been reading The Humane Interface and it talks
about humans having the ability for only one locus at a time (that's poorly
paraphrased but anyway). So, you are typing along and your concentration is
on that. But then a person comes and hangs out next to you and your
concentration is divided. So you fumble your typing.

The funny thing that bears this out for me is that in the past few years
I've not had this problem, but the opposite one: I don't even *notice* if
someone is hovering over me. In fact I've had people come in and have
conversations with me and me not having a clue that it took place. My
concentration on what I'm typing is so intense that there's no room for any
other input and my brain just shunts it to the side.

Just a possibility that this is the reason for this syndrome.

--Suzanne