RE: Tight economy/fewer positions

Subject: RE: Tight economy/fewer positions
From: "Farwell, Peter" <peter -dot- farwell -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:37:57 -0700

I work with someone how used to work at the company in the ad. If you want
to know more, I can pick her brain.

We (our tech writing department of two) are busy creating a structured
documentation system using Frame+SGML. I just completed a course on Computer
Architecture and the only requirements were to write two papers (our choice
of topic - relating to "computer architecture"). I chose SGML to learn more
about it. Turns out it is the grand-daddy of just about all other markup
languages including HTML. I would be glad to send you a PDF of my paper (15
pages, double spaced). Unfortunately, I don't have a website to stick it on
or I would (it is about 347KB). As a Technical Writer, I only learned Frame
a couple of years ago and Frame+SGML only recently. I assure you, SGML (and
XML for that matter) is no big deal, especially if you know a bit about
HTML. The concept of tags is just a convenient way to separate data.

Peter Farwell